Sunday, February 15, 2015

You down with the IOC? Yeah, you know me!


I analyzed pages 80 and 81 of Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro.

For Criterion A, I would give myself an 8 as a grade. I referenced various parts of the novel during my analysis, both from before and after the passage, and used direct quotes from the passage. I gave good context for my passage, and explained the characters as well.
For Criterion B, I would give myself a 5. I could not find very many literary devices in the passage that I chose. I did point out the diction and dialogue used in the passage, as well as general themes of the novel. I also barely examined the effect of the devices on the reader.
For Criterion C, I would give myself a 2. I did not spend that much time in my planning period organizing my commentary, but I did do some. My ideas generally flowed from one to the next, but there were several times during the commentary that I paused in order to finish with one idea, and then just picked up with a different idea.
For Criterion D, I would give myself a 4. I use generally adequate language throughout the commentary, but there a few moments when I lose track of my ideas and I fumble for the words that I am looking for. Otherwise, I use the appropriate terminology for literary devices and the lenses and themes of the novel.

2 comments:

  1. Steven, dearest Steven, fantastic job with your practice IOC. It was quite long and one of the few that I have seen that actually was between the recommended 8-10 minutes. This is only significant because you filled your presentation with 9 minutes of awesomeness, not crappy analysis. I think you did a great job of understanding the text as a whole and you truly deserved that 8 you gave yourself. I might have given you a 3 for language, only because you used a lot of filler words because of your lack of organization. Overall great practice, you'll do great on the real thing. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow Steven! Stellar performance! I love how you paced yourself out to ensure that you meet the 8-10 minute requirement. I thought your analysis was great. I loved how you analyzed the change in what Mrs. Lucy was saying throughout the passage. I thought all of the information was relevant and you found a multitude of good content to use in your analysis rather than repeating yourself. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete